Monday, October 02, 2006

PICK OF THE WEEK

The pick of the week is Fritz European Fry House of Bremerton, Washington. The child and I wandered back that way for some Belgian fries and ale.

I indulged in Naughty Nellie's Amber Ale by Pike Brewing Company. I don't know who Nellie is, but if she is as good as her namesake beer then I am in trouble if I ever run into her. Nellie was sweet and light, with a wonderful perfume of hops.

The child and I split a chicken basket that included tender strips of chicken breasts and Belgian fries, along with two dipping sauces—sweet chili and honey dijon. The child dipped her fries in the honey dijon; I dipped my fries in the sweet chili for sweetness with a slight kick, and my chicken in the honey dijon, all the while nursing Naughty Nellie. The weather was perfect early fall in the Pacific Northwest—gray and gloom, a vague hint of mist in the air, the threat of rain at any moment. Therefore, the child and I sat inside on the barstools facing the counter. This allowed us to watch Andy, the owner of Fritz, as he bantered with other customers. He is a funny guy who knows how to read his customer. He knew when he could joke or prod a little, as well as when to play it straight. He was also playing a Social Distortion album, which felt like the perfect music for that early afternoon.

After the child and I finished eating, I asked Andy if I could photograph his menu board. He seemed a little reluctant until I explained that I was going to use it for one of my on THE TAPHANDLE posts, and that it was free advertising. He then told me, tongue in cheek, that I could photograph whatever I wanted. He also offered me a sample of Der Blokken, a porter-style beer that he brews himself and keeps on tap in the fry house. He brews Der Blokken at Heads Up Brewing in Silverdale, Washington. Heads Up is a combination of "pub, micro brewery specialty bottled beer store, and brew on premises," which means that you can home brew in their facility on their equipment. This is how Andy makes larger quantities of Der Blokken than what he would be able to do in his kitchen.

Der Blokken was a great beer. It was almost black in color; had a strong head (even for the small sample cup I had); and a rich, roasted flavor that tasted of dark chocolate. I am going to have to have a full pint next time around.

I will have to be making another visit to Fritz very soon. You should too. You can drive to Bremerton or take a trip on one of the Washington State Ferries. Then, you can settle onto a barstool, sip on your Naughty Nellie or Der Blokken or one of the other fine ales on tap or in bottle, and enjoy some Belgian fries.

No comments: