Saturday, October 21, 2006

on THE TAPHANDLE

Okto Festival Ale by Widmer Brothers Brewing

I have had this beer three times and am still not quite sure what to make of it. To be fair, the first and second time I drank it I was sick, the first with a major cold and the second most likely with a touch of the flu. If I had used those two tastings as the standard, I would not recommend this beer. But, the third time I tasted it, on Thursday night, I liked it much more.

It is easier to taste the malt than the hops, which may be part of the reason I am undecided. I tend to like beers with intense or powerful flavors. Okto is more subtle. It went well with the wife's steak fajitas. The maltiness and the floral notes nicely complemented the spices and lemon of the fajita rub.

I will have to try Okto again and really pay attention to what is there. This will probably not make it into my circle of favorite beers but I wouldn't turn it down.

No comments: