Sunday, October 08, 2006

on THE TAPHANDLE

Fire Rock Pale Ale by Kona Brewing Company

We had friends over for dinner. The wife decided to try her hand at Pad Thai so I was ready with Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale, because the fruitiness nicely offsets some of the "heat" of Thai food, and Widmer Brother's Okto, their version of an Oktoberfest "Munich-style" amber that I have yet to taste. The friends brought a six-pack of Fire Rock Pale Ale. Even with the other beers ready to go, I had to try the new beer.

My friend first had Fire Rock while vacationing in Hawaii and thought I would appreciate some. I did.

It had a good, hoppy aroma; a nice reddish-amber color, that Kona likes to call copper (which is a better descriptor than reddish-amber); and a sweet, slightly nutty, flavor full of hops. The flavor began smooth and subtle, increasing in intensity the longer it sat upon my tongue. It was a good complement for the Pad Thai. Like Pumpkin Ale, the sweetness of the ale helped reduce some of the spiciness. Fire Rock will soon be put into heavier rotation in the refrigerator.

No comments: