Thursday, December 14, 2023

WALKING



I took up walking during the COVID-19 pandemic of a way to escape my house, my work, and the fact that everything somewhat collapsed onto my art desk. What was once a space for me to visit and lose myself in the creation of art became the focal point of every day. I spent time there on what felt like constant Zoom video calls and conferences, as it was one of the main ways to stay connected to family members, coworkers, friends, and other members of organizations I belonged to. So walking became a way to just get out.

For more than three years, it has been something that I've turned to frequently. It's become somewhat of a habit. On days that I don't workout (and even on some I do), I choose a "vague" destination in one of the quarters of the city where I reside and head off. I never know exactly what path I will take, although I oftentimes have a street or landmark or two that I plan on passing.

These walks are ways to ground myself, to meditate, to pray. These walks are moments of connection to my body, my mind, my spirit, my breath, nature, the other, God.

No comments: