Wednesday, August 03, 2022

DOWN for the COUNT



Down for the count!

The Child and I were working on kumite (sparring) in the backyard dojo, trying to get some extra practice in order that The Child could test for a kumite stripe. On our last round, I inadvertently moved into a reverse punch to my solar plexus, which took the wind out of me.

(I'm just going to lie here a while and gather myself back together.)

I also realized by looking at photos after our kumite rounds that I tend to (a) overuse my knees to block; (b) need to move my hands less, as well as keep them up and ready to block (I leave myself open way too often, especially against someone who favors the reverse punch!); and (c) need to lean in less.

(It's a learning process.)


Update: the next day, I had a nice healthy bruise on my chest, which is impressive since we were both wearing padded gloves.

No comments: