Monday, August 29, 2022

BECAUSE KARATE



Hello, sprained finger!

In class tonight, The Child and I were paired up for kumite (sparring). The Child didn't like that I was using my leg to "knee jam" since I was only supposed to be blocking but The Child thought I was kicking. Anyway, The Child was getting frustrated and I taunted a bit. The Child sent a roundhouse kick my way and I blocked with a downward block. Mawashi geri, meet gedan barai!

I felt it immediately, but I could still move the finger and it didn't hurt too bad. Ten minutes later, I took an accidental punch to the groin (below the belt) from another opponent in another sparring match that sent me to the floor for a bit. That hurt a lot more than my hand. Until later...

At the end of class, I noticed that I had a nice "ring" of purple around my PIP (proximal interphalangeal) joint on my left index finger. So, into a finger splint it went. No numbness, no coldness, and not too much pain, plus I could move it most of the way, even though I couldn't bend that finger all the way into a fist.

Now it's a time of rest, ice, immobility, and physical therapy (so I regain full movement). It can take three to six weeks for full recovery.


Even with this minor injury, I am truly living my best life. (No irony. No sarcasm.)

No comments: