Saturday, December 23, 2006

WANDERINGS



The child and I wandered around Puyallup this morning in the gray and rain. We stopped in Puyallup's latest coffee shop, Forza Coffee Company. Forza is a local "chain" of ten stores in Pierce, Thurston, and King counties, mostly located in Tacoma and East Pierce County. The staff was very friendly, perhaps a little too friendly for my tastes. That is when the child comes in handy, however. She is a great foil to deflect attention and provide easy escape. I should have had children much earlier in life!

The hot chocolate I had was very good, though. The chocolate was rich and dark; overall, the drink was smooth and warm; and the shot of peppermint added just enough additional flavor and sweetness to make it "that much" better.

After we wandered back home from the post office, the park, and various minor errands, the child took a nap. I took advantage of the time and worked in the yard. It rained. It hailed. There was even some snow mixed in with the other precipitation, for good measure. I cut up fallen limbs from the prior wind storms. I moved piles of walnut twigs with a pitchfork. I filled our bird feeders with seed.

Just before returning inside, I climbed up into one of our hazelnut trees and gave the squirrels a "fresh" cob of dried corn to nibble upon. I sat in the tree, in the rain, for a few minutes and watched chickadees and red-breasted nuthatches flit about. It was a nice quiet moment in the midst of a relatively quiet morning. I wish I could do it more often.

No comments: