Tuesday, December 05, 2006

SANTA DREAMS


More likely: Santa hallucinations.

I am washing dishes. The child is playing with toys on the kitchen floor. We hear sirens. Closer. Closer. Ever closer.

Soon lights. Flashing. Pulsing.

Then out of the corner of my eye: Santa Claus floating over the neighbor's hedge. The child and I run to the window and pull up the blinds. Santa Claus riding on top of a fire engine. Waving. Shouting "Merry Christmas" over the sound of the siren and horn. The engine reaching the end of the street and turning around.

The child and I run to the door. We open it. We walk onto the porch. I lift the child up so the view is better. Out of the darkness a female firefight comes running at us with her arms extended. She hands us candy canes. "Happy holidays." She runs off. Fades back into darkness. Following the engine that heads off to other streets, other avenues.

"Candy bars. Candy bars." The child keeps shouting this.

"Candy canes," I correct.

"No. Candy bars!"

1 comment:

Marc said...

LOL!! Great story!
Nice to see the firefighters having some fun during Christmas.