Wednesday, December 06, 2006

on THE TAPHANDLE

Gulden Draak by Brouwerij Van Steenberge

11.2 ounce bottle. One of my new favorites. This is great stuff.

An average size, light brown head on the pour. The color a muddy brown that glows chestnut around the edges. It smells of molasses with hints of dried dark fruits: raisins and prunes. Maybe even a very subtle whiff of cherry? The flavor nicely matches the aroma. It is sweet and malty, with only the slightest hint of bitterness. The flavor lingers. The body is full, somewhat thick and oily, something that tickles the tongue a bit.

I imagine that this is what ambrosia, nectar of the gods, tastes like. This is definitely not a "gulping" beer, but one to sip and savor. I imagine it accompanying roast beef and roasted carrots, potatoes, and onions. I also imagine it would go well with dessert.

I believe that Gulden Draak and I will have many happy moments together.

No comments: