Friday, October 20, 2023

THE VOID



The Void ratchets up fast! It starts with a hint of David Lynch, small town darkness, a la Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet, and is quickly in territory of The Thing and then The Walking Dead. Cultists? Check. Cosmic horror? Check. Weirdness galore? Body horror? Check and check!

I acknowledge this won't be everyone's cup of tea. But for aficionados of Lovecraftian horror, this is excellent. The visual special effects in this are spectacular. I'm assuming most of them are physical effects, with very little CGI. They look and feel physical.

Streaming on Tubi.



There are a few scenes that I'm pretty sure are nods to Re-Animator. They didn't go where I thought they would, and I'm glad they didn't.

I believe the protagonist Daniel Carter, an officer of the Marsh County Police Department, is a reference to Lovecraft's alter-ego fictional character Randolph Carter. (A descendant perhaps?)

No comments: