Monday, October 30, 2023

BUMPKIN and BATVIS



Bumpkin



Batvis



I lost my "pumpkin partner" for this year. I also decided to paint a couple of smaller pie pumpkins rather than carve a larger gourd as in many prior years. Even so, I had a lot of fun with these two.

Both were inspired by cartoons.

Bumpkin was influenced by the artful craziness of John Kricfalusi, the creator of The Ren and Stimpy Show.

Batvis was influenced by the character design of Beavis and Butthead by Mike Judge.

I didn't use any photos or images as reference. Instead, I just let what I remembered about these cartoons and characters and their worlds to manifest in acrylic paint on a couple of pumpkins.

Bumpkin is just a hyped-up country pumpkin, who I could easily imagine running around with the Shaven Yak or Stinky.

Batvis is a mash-up of Beavis (the name), Butthead (the look), and a bat. He has ears, tiny wings, and a forked tail; although you cannot see them in the photo above.

Happy Halloween!


UPDATE: We had zero trick-or-treaters, so no one was able to gaze upon the glory of these two in person. Sad.

No comments: