Tuesday, October 03, 2023

HEX and HEN



TWT reading his short story "Hex and Hen" at The Mill by J+A. Photograph by EV.


I was invited to participate in the 2023 Creative Colloquy Crawl. I was a featured reader for one of the events, "Spooky Tails," that took place during the first hour.

When I agreed to read, I didn't really have anything in hand to present. I asked if poetry was okay and was told that it was. So I worked on a few poems, but nothing seemed to really capture the spirit of the reading. 

Then I was attacked by a German Shepherd. I don't know why that called forth a short story (!) about a chicken stalking a neighbor living near its coop, but there it was. I wasn't sure this foray into genre fiction, and Lovecraftian cosmic horror at that, really worked, but everyone seemed to connect with it. The Wife declared it "pretty creepy." As I left the stage, one of the other readers told me, "Troy, that was disgusting." I took that as a compliment!

No comments: