Friday, November 04, 2022

TENS



Two steps forward and five steps back. My problematic disc seems to have slipped again. So I pulled out my TENS unit and got one session in last night. And then it died.



This morning, I picked up a new TENS unit and it is an order of magnitude better. At half strength it is about ten times more powerful than the old unit at full strength.

It allowed me to discover that my back muscles tightened up around the disc after it slid, which, in turn tightened up the muscles even more, which tugged the disc farther out of alignment—a vicious physical feedback loop. The new TENS unit helped to relax the muscles. That allowed me some relief so that I can do my PT exercises.

It will still take some time for everything to completely settle down, but it's three steps forward!



This evening, while the first November storm raged outside, I worked on slow and control indoors. Yi Jin Jing qigong, iaido, and then the TENS unit. (One step forward.)


Pictured above is the sixth movement of Yi Jin Jing, "Flexing Paws and Spreading Wings," as I workout with Master Shi Heng Yi of Shaolin Temple Europe via the magic of YouTube.

No comments: