Tuesday, May 10, 2022

RHODODENRONS and BONSAI

As many times as I've visited the Pacific Bonsai Museum, I've never visited the adjacent Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden. Today, however, The Wife and I visited both as part of my staycation.



The weather has been abnormally cold (April 2022 was the coldest April on record in Seattle), which has delayed the blooming of many flowers, so it was wonderful to wander among patches of color here and there on the grounds of the Rhododendron Garden. 



There were plenty of splashes of color peppered throughout the evergreen leaves.



The Rutherford Conservatory had these enormous ferns (fifteen feet tall) that were in various stages of unfurling. This frond was the size of a human fist. The Wife liked the "knuckles" at the center.



I think every variety of rhododendron must be included somewhere on the grounds. Round leaves, oblong leaves. Thin leaves, thick leaves. Chunky leaves, tapered leaves. Every shade of green. Blossoms of red, pink, white, yellow, orange, purple, blue. China, Japan, India, Nepal, the rest of Asia, North America.



We spent a lot more time with the rhododendrons on this visit, but made sure to stop in a check out the bonsai on display. This was one of my favorites this time. I like the playfulness of the "dead" trunk with the branches growing out of the top. It reminded me of a nurse log.



New on this visit was a series of "prints" on two of the walls near the exit. I didn't spend a lot of time with them, but I'm intrigued, so I'll have to visit again!

(It appeared that they were printed onto sheets that were then glued to the wall? Canvas? Lithographs? Wheat-pasted prints? Like I said, I need to return to explore them in more depth.)

No comments: