Saturday, April 16, 2022

RIFT



“Good Friday: Rift,” Montana BLACK spray paint and watercolor ink on 8” x 10” watercolor paper, 2022, by Troy's Work Table.



The preparations for Holy Week at my church this year were "brutal." Deadlines were missed multiple times by many of the participants, which meant that my work was constantly behind. I can't complete what I have to have ready for the various worship services without the pieces that were missing.

Then, already being behind, both of our copy machines died and were out of commission for almost two days. And printing should have taken place a week prior, so there was no buffer. I was spent.

But I produced what I thought were three great interrelated pieces for each of the Three Days—Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Vigil. "Rift" was partly born out of the frustration and disappointment I was feeling, while also remaining true to the texts for Good Friday. 

In other words, "Rift" was representative not only of the torn veil in the Temple when Christ's crucifixion was finished, but was also representative of where I was at. And, while I feel blessed to have created this piece, I hope never to have to live through similar circumstances again.

No comments: