Tuesday, April 26, 2022

PURPLE BELT



"Each pattern / is a poem // we are / the punctuation."
 


Text: Opening lines of the opening poem, "Kata," of a work in progress. It has been slowly unfurling itself in my brain after qigong and karate morning workouts.



Image: "Opening lines" of the Heian Sandan kata.



If my life at work was difficult in the weeks leading up to Holy Week, it was further complicated by the fact that I was testing for various components of the requirements for my purple belt in Shotokan karate. And, the weekend after Easter, I took the actual purple belt test.

I was glad to finally test and earn my purple belt.

I struggled a bit on my weapons kata, but otherwise I felt I performed well. I know the places I will continue to encounter challenges and the things I need to work on with extra effort. But that is why this is a journey without a destination, a marathon and not a sprint.

No comments: