Thursday, April 30, 2015

NAPOWRIMO #30: THE ½ WEREWOLF

For 2015's National Poetry Writing Month (NaPoWriMo), Troy's Work Table is writing thirty poems in thirty days.

---

THE ½ WEREWOLF

Follow the moon. Follow the tides. But only half the time. Every other full moon. Sometimes a half moon here or there. But never every cycle of the moon. Usually eight weeks. Sometimes six weeks.

Bark at the moon. Bay at the night sky. Vomit because it takes so much energy. So much time. I really just want to take a nap.

Don’t rely on transformation. It’s usually never full. More likely its half. Or worse. A hairy patch on one’s back. Knuckles and earlobes that will need to be shaved later. Long unkempt nails that will need to be trimmed. A tooth or two protruding more than it should.

It really is rather pathetic. They call me the half-werewolf. But it’s more like the half-assed werewolf. I can’t even bother to burst through my clothing. I don’t wake up naked. I wake up fully clothed. Yeah, maybe there’s a button or two missing from my shirt. Or a zipper has skipped its teeth.

But otherwise, I’m warm and curled up in a fetal ball. In the bright night light of Luna herself. Clutching at my knees. Sucking my thumb. Dreaming of a mostly rare steak.

---

Copyright © 2015 by Troy's Work Table.

No comments: