Monday, January 22, 2007

TWO-FOR-ONE on THE TAPHANDLE

The weekend began with a beer and ended with a beer. It was a good weekend!

Friday night saw me visiting with my friend in Seattle. At his suggestion, we had dinner at McMenamin's Six Arms. I ordered their on tap India Pale Ale, which was a decent representative of IPAs. The aroma and flavor was primarily citrus, with less grapefruit and more lemon than I would have liked. There also seemed to be a hint of plum at the edges. Color was a great gold and the ale had very nice lacing. I had it with McMenamin's bacon cheeseburger and fries. The bacon was overdone, as well as the fries, but all in all a good meal.

Next was the movie Ugetsu on DVD. The movie was brilliant. It is a ghost story that takes place during the sixteenth-century Japanese civil war. Occasionally, I was reminded of some of the absurd, illogical short ghost stories of Uchida Hyakken's Realm of the Dead. Then conversation of various topics: narrative, therapy, suicide, death, child-rearing, loss, art, James Hillman, mythology, cats, friendship, photography, religion, India.

Sunday brought the celebration of the fortieth wedding anniversary of the parental units. The brother, the sister-in-law, the sister, the wife, and I took the mother and the father to Anthony's Homeport in Bremerton. I ordered Scuttlebutt Porter on tap. The flavor was of chocolate with a biscuity base. Ephemeral wisp of cinnamon and/or nutmeg. The color was of a vaguely translucent dark brown with a thick light brown head. Good lacing. I had one with my entree of Alaskan silver salmon in a red pepper sauce, potatoes, and butternut squash, as well as with Anthony's signature clam chowder. I had another after dinner, accompanied by Bailey's Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse. A great ale with a great meal.

No comments: