Saturday, January 27, 2007

on THE TAPHANDLE

Snow Cap Ale, an English Strong Ale, brewed by Pyramid Breweries

12 ounce bottle. Pour leaves a dark brown ale with a half-inch tan head. The aroma is rich caramel, slight chocolate, mild spices. Pseudo-chocolate flavor on initial draught is almost instaneously replaced with a slightly bitter "wet wood bark" flavor. The "wet wood bark" is not as overpowering as Snow Plow, but is not altogether pleasant, either. Slight disconnect between the aroma and the flavor. If the flavor were just slightly adjusted this might be somewhat good. The flavor did increase slightly over the course of my meal, so perhaps this was a bad bottle...

The wife made Broiled Mustard and Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon Fillets with Dill. A beer lighter in color and with more hops probably would have been a better choice for the meal. But, I am trying to drink through my Christmas gifts before going out in search of new ales. This one was a gift from the sister. So, a big thank you to her!

1 comment:

Call me John said...

So, this dinner your wife prepared sounded really nice. I bet "guests" would have appreciated it.

By "guests" I do not mean my wife and I of course.