Friday, April 17, 2015

FROST PARK: THE MOANING CREATURE


"The Moaning Creature" by Troy's Work Table. Frost Park Chalk Off 8:3. Friday 17 April 2015.

---

The Moaning Creature has been haunting me for months. It appears in the novels of Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy. In Annihilation (book 1), we hear it a lot, but don't really get to see it. In Acceptance (book 3), not only do we hear it, but the author gives us a very descriptive (and chilling) look at it.

This is what the Moaning Creature looks like when I hear it!

---

I referenced three of my own earlier chalk pieces for additional inspiration. You'll likely notice similar elements in "Anton" (The Nightingale's Stone by David Mecklenburg); "Fruiting Bodies" (Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer); and "The Biologist" (Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer).

---

Maybe now I can be free of the nightmare that this creature is for a while.

---

You can view more pictures of "The Moaning Creature" HERE.

No comments: