Wednesday, April 21, 2010

NAPOWRIMO #21



Read Write Poem NaPoWriMo Prompt #21 - Perfectly Flawed

---

DEAD-CENTER HEART

You wandered into this world with a dead-center heart
doctors and nurses searching with stethoscopes and instruments
listening to the left side of your chest wall
met with silence, or perhaps a faint humming.

I stood vigil, smiling, without care or concern.

You wandered through this world with your dead-center heart
calling the weak and infirm to Come and follow me!
listening with your healing hands and gentle eyes
met with the stones and jeers of neighbors in the street.

I stood at a distance, staring, trying to comprehend.

You wandered out of this world with your dead-center heart
pierced through and emptied of its joy
listening to the gathered crowd squabble over your provenance
met with the quiet of the heavens, or perhaps a faint humming.

I stood still, frozen, doubting that I had ever seen anything.

---

This began as a poem about The Child's anatomically dead-center heart and went elsewhere. I followed.

1 comment:

troysworktable said...

I really wrestled with this one. I am still unsure of the final line. My first thought was to cut the it, but the wife insists it is necessary to the notion of faith that runs throughout. So far, the wife is "winning."