Saturday, February 10, 2024

BREATHING UNDER WATER



For the past few years, I have felt myself to be in spiritual exile (which is a bit ironic since I work for a church), so I finally decided to do something about it. I have enrolled in a 15-week online course: Breathing Under Water through the Center for Action and Contemplation, based upon the work of Father Richard Rohr.



In addition to course work, videos, discussion forums, and the like that open each week, the core texts I am reading: 
  1. Breathing Under Water: Spirituality and the Twelve Steps.
  2. Breathing Under Water Companion Journal, which is really a study guide with additional explorations and questions.
  3. New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton.


What is fascinating to me, is the overlap of mystical Christianity, Zen Buddhism, and the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. I'm intrigued by the places where they find common ground, where they differ, and where they move forward into a better, beautiful world, lifting up others around them and into fellowship with the Divine (God).

No comments: