Saturday, September 03, 2022

CHEAT CODES



There have been a few things that helped me navigate both the pandemic and its ("post-pandemic") aftermath: walking, prayer, listening to vinyl albums, and martial arts. Cheat Codes (2022) by Danger Mouse and Black Thought involved two of the four (walking and vinyl) and may be another one in its own right (prayer).

I walked downtown to return some library materials and on my way back stopped into local record store Atomic Genius. Poking around in the new release bin, which was generously stocked, I discovered this album. I had already heard its epic tracks and had some "art money" burning a hole in my pocket, so this particular vinyl ended up going home with me.

It's a brilliant album. Great production. Cutting and incisive lyrics. Perfect collaborations and featured guests. Plus, the album cover art gives me general Beatles vibes. (Sgt. Peppers? Yellow Submarine? Sure. And more.)

I highly recommend it!

No comments: