Tuesday, February 08, 2022

YI JIN JING



I've been searching for a set of exercises and stretches that complement my martial arts journey. Learning that modern karate as presented by Master Gichin Funakoshi is a direct descendant of ancient karate as presented by Master Daruma Taishi (Bodhidharma) at Shaolin Temple made me curious about the exercises of the Yi Jin Jing (Muscle/Tendon Changing/Transforming Classic).

Every morning for three weeks, I participated in "21 Days of Qigong for Beginners" taught by Qigong with Kseny. This gave me a good foundation, as well as basic moves of qigong, so I was ready for Kseny's qigong exercises based upon the Yi Jin Jing in both shorter and longer versions.

Many of these quigong forms and movements have echoes in karate. Tiger Catches Its Prey is an exaggerated front stance. Lotus Growing Through the Mud is a squat that ends up in a horse stance. So I've continued practicing qigong and yi jin jing each morning, as a way to meditate and exercise, as a way to jump start the day, and as a way to help bolster my karate training.

No comments: