Saturday, January 15, 2022

UMAB



A new piece of equipment for the home dojo: a "crane"/green version of the Ultimate Martial Arts Board, a rebreakable board, equivalent to a 12" x 12" x 1" thick pine board.



I haven't been able to break through it yet. The best I've been able to do so far is put a thin gap in it's two sections with my final hammer fist strike of the day.

I'll try again another day.


Board breaking came at the end of a week of pushing myself a bit harder than I have. Three workouts in the dojo instead of two and a couple of workouts at home, the latter focusing on the current kata I'm working on (Heian Shodan) and the current weapons kata I'm working on (Tonfa Sho).

At the dojo, it was a week of sweeps and throws and my body is feeling it. But, I was able to take down a couple of fellow students of higher belt ranking. One had much longer arm and leg reach than I did, was considerably taller, and outweighs me, but I was able to take him down in a grappling hold with each of us trying to take down the other before we were taken down. I did end up going down with him when I sent him to the mat, but it was a small victory in my mind!

All in all, I'm really enjoying the physicality of karate, as well as the mental components.

No comments: