Wednesday, May 26, 2021

CATSPAW



Catspaw by Matthew Sweet.

Is it too soon to call album of the year? Perhaps. But this will definitely be in the top three, easily.

When Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend was released in 1991, I listened to it non-stop for weeks. Even once other albums captured my attention, I would find myself humming tunes from it. Thirty years later, it is still an album that I play on a frequent basis.

Now I have another album with which to do the same!

Catspaw was recorded prior to the start of the COVID-19 global pandemic, but it feels as though it was meant for right now. Matthew Sweet played all of the instruments except for the drums. For the first time, he is playing lead guitar on one of his albums and it sounds like he's enjoying himself. In fact, on the lyric sheet, on each song, at some point, there is the same word: solo.

In addition to the wonderful guitars, Sweet has recorded harmonies to accompany his melody lines, and it absolutely beautiful. In fact, it's how one really knows they are listening to a Matthew Sweet album. 

My favorite tracks are the instantly hummable "At a Loss" and "Parade of Lights." The latter has guitar that almost sings like another voice, as though it is harmonizing with the various Matthews.

This is the rare album that I bought without having heard any of the tracks prior. And it is worth every penny I paid for it, since each track carries its weight as an individual and as part of the whole.

Brilliant!

No comments: