Wednesday, November 10, 2010

SEEING RED: THE MENS ROOM

The Mens Room Original Red, a Red Ale by Elysian Brewing Company.

22 ounce bomber bottle, served in an English pint glass. 5.6% alcohol by volume.

---

The pour is coppery orange-red, capped with a finger-thick white head. Terraces of lacing remain behind after successive quaffs.

The initial aroma contains caramel and a hint of leaf.

The initial flavor is caramel and a faint, faint nuttiness. As it warms, the caramel smooths out and expands, while a bitter nettle creeps in at the edges.


The palate is solid, with the tiniest alcohol bite on the finish.

---

My initial reaction:
I've heard great things about this, so I expected more. It's a decent red, very sessionable.

---

As it warms:
As the night (and the bottle) wear on, I am more intrigued by it. I have finally identified the flavor that has been bothering me, eluding me. It is pretzel. The crisp dough. The saltiness. I break open the bag of pretzels on top of the refrigerator and have a few. Washing them down with Mens Room confirms the match.

---

This ale is great with homemade chicken tacos.

---

Final reaction:
It took some time and some reflection, but I think this is a beer that definitely is worth the word-of-mouth praise that it is getting. As I sipped it and thought about it, as it warmed and allowed its true character to come forth, I think that a new regular red ale made its way into my heart and my refrigerator and my belly.

No comments: