Wednesday, March 21, 2007

on THE TAPHANDLE

Three days of bliss were mine. In honor of Saint Patrick's Day, the wife made Guinness beef stew.

First, I love beef stew. Stew was probably my favorite dish that my mother made when I was growing up. I love the mixture of tender meat, soft root vegetables, and flavored broth. Second, I love Guinness. I love its rich, heavy chocolate flavor. Subsequently, I love this particular stew.

The potatoes, carrots, and parsnips added the perfect texture and flavors to complement the cubed flank steak and Guinness-laden broth. These root vegetables had just enough flavor to hold their own, but not enough to "steal the show." The Guinness gave the broth a slight bitterness, as well as the slightest hint of chocolate and alcohol. All of this made the tender chunks of beef "shine."

I ate this meal of the gods while drinking a Deschutes Jubelale, which has a nice nuttiness to it that went well with the stew. Two days of stew leftovers for lunch meant three full days of beef stew, hence the three days of bliss. Aaaah...

No comments: