Tuesday, May 12, 2009

WHITE RIVER DISC GOLF COURSE


My eighth disc golf disc—a Discraft Buzzz ESP mid-range disc. Opaque yellow with blue foil stamp, 164 grams.

---

This is one of the highest rated mid-range golf discs of experienced players. Therefore, I decided I needed to see what made it so highly favored.

---

I played a 70 from the White River red tee pads (on a par 54 course).

Hole 1 - 3
Hole 2 - 4
Hole 3 - 4
Hole 4 - 5
Hole 5 - 6
Hole 6 - 4
Hole 7 - 5
Hole 8 - 3
Hole 9 - 3
Front nine - 37

Hole 10 - 5
Hole 11 - 4
Hole 12 - 4
Hole 13 - 3
Hole 14 - 2
Hole 15 - 3
Hole 16 - 5
Hole 17 - 3
Hole 18 - 4
Back nine - 33

Total - 70

I scored my first deuce ever. Rather than play a driver on hole #14, I decided to play my Buzzz. I landed about 50 feet from the basket. I grabbed my (Lightning) Upshot driver and it sailed right into the middle of the chains and stayed. I took me a few seconds to actually register that I just made a long putt into the basket.

---

It was good that I scored that two to counter the six I had on hole #5. The trees were in my head again. On holes 3, 4, and 5, I hit trees on each tee shot. I also started the back nine by hitting trees on my first and second shots on hole #10. Aargh!

I had some tree love on hole #17, however, when my approach shot caught a branch. The disc rolled down the length of the branch and shot out to fall within a few feet of the basket. It just happened to be my Buzzz.

---

I also happened to have a perfectly thrown thumber shot on hole #16. I threw my (Ching) Velocity over a screen of trees, it curled and flipped on its top, and fell within excellent putting range of the basket. I screwed up the putt, but that's my fault.

---

All in all, my Buzzz was a great disc to play with. It feels much different in my hand than my other preferred mid-range disc, my (Innova) Champion Panther. The Panther is slightly smaller in the hand. So it took me some time to adjust. But once I did, the Buzzz played brilliantly.

---


The long putt on hole #14. The Buzzz is on the ground next to my bag. This is where I threw from. The basket is in the upper middle of the picture, "framed" by two trees. Deuce!

---


Buzzz hiding in the "rough" of the fairway on hole #18. I still have a lot of work figuring out how this disc plays, but I am certain that it will hold a strong position in my bag for quite some time.

No comments: