Friday, May 08, 2009

WHITE RIVER DISC GOLF COURSE


My seventh disc golf disc—an Innova Champion Valkyrie distance driver disc. Translucent yellow, 150 grams.

---

This is my most utilized driver. It is also my lightest disc. I find this disc is absolutely perfect for hyzer throws; it has helped me on many dogleg left holes.

Now that I have played a few rounds with it and spent quite a bit of time practicing throwing it for distance, I think I am finally beginning to understand the flight characteristics of this disc.

---

Practice makes perfect. And I have been practicing...

---

The child and I headed out to White River today for a morning round of disc golf. I played a 69 from the red tee pads (on a par 54 course).

Hole 1 - 3
Hole 2 - 4
Hole 3 - 5
Hole 4 - 4
Hole 5 - 5
Hole 6 - 4
Hole 7 - 4
Hole 8 - 3
Hole 9 - 3
Front nine - 35

Hole 10 - 4
Hole 11 - 3
Hole 12 - 4
Hole 13 - 4
Hole 14 - 3
Hole 15 - 4
Hole 16 - 4
Hole 17 - 4
Hole 18 - 4
Back nine - 34

Total - 69

I really let the trees get into my head at the beginning of the round. I had a couple of sweet anhyzer tee shots on holes 1 and 2. But then I started hitting trees. On hole 3, I hit trees on my first two shots and landed my disc behind a huge nurse log on my third shot. I also hit trees on holes 4 and 5.

That is when I realized how much of a mental game disc golf is. Once the trees "had" me, it was difficult to play around them. It wasn't until hole 9, when I threw a great drive that hyzered around and through a copse of trees that I started to see through my mental haze and regain some confidence.

---

It has also helped that I have played White River's red course enough to start to know which discs to use on a particular hole. This has helped me to better understand how each disc works, when to use each one, and each disc's strengths and weaknesses.

---

I may finally have enough practice (and courage) to play the longer blue course.

---

My Champion Valkyrie has definitely helped my game, as I have learned to throw it farther and more accurately. I believe it will have a long life as a permanent member of my disc bag.

No comments: