Tuesday, May 26, 2009

WHITE RIVER DISC GOLF COURSE

Troy's Work Table bookended the Memorial Day weekend with rounds of disc golf at White River in Auburn.


My ninth disc golf disc—a Disc Golf Association Powerdrive Gumbputt putt & approach disc. Opaque yellow, 164 grams.

---

On Friday, TWT played a shabby 73 from the red tee pads (on a par 54 course). Ugh!

Hole 1 - 4
Hole 2 - 5
Hole 3 - 3
Hole 4 - 6
Hole 5 - 4
Hole 6 - 5
Hole 7 - 5
Hole 8 - 3
Hole 9 - 4
Front nine - 39 (+12)

Hole 10 - 3
Hole 11 - 3
Hole 12 - 3
Hole 13 - 6
Hole 14 - 3
Hole 15 - 3
Hole 16 - 5
Hole 17 - 4
Hole 18 - 4
Back nine - 34 (+7)

Total - 73 (+19)

I had trouble with trees again. I also didn't play as strong as I normally do on some of my favorite holes.

---

It was nice to be able to take the Gumbputt into round play and see what it can do. It's rubber-like plastic and flexibility meant that when it hit something, then it immediately flopped to the ground. This worked well on holes where my putter tends to roll away. It did not work well where it would brush a branch. It would grab onto the branch or leaf and head straight for terra firma. However, I now have a better idea of how it plays and when to play it.

---


My tenth disc golf disc—a Latitude 64º Sinus SP putt & approach disc. Opaque yellow with silver foil stamp, 173 grams.

---

Tonight, TWT played a not-so-hot 37 from the red tee pads of the back nine holes (on a par 27). Sigh...

Hole 10 - 3
Hole 11 - 3
Hole 12 - 4
Hole 13 - 5
Hole 14 - 3
Hole 15 - 4
Hole 16 - 5
Hole 17 - 4
Hole 18 - 6
Back nine - 37 (+10)

I actually don't feel too bad about this half round. I know what I did wrong on the three holes that I had trouble (13, 16, and 18). Each of them involved trees or shrubbery and trying to recover. I used good problem solving skills to get back onto the course and headed toward the basket. Hole 13 meant recovering from two consecutive tree shots and then approaching and putting the basket like I should have. Hole 16 meant recovering form a bad second shot and shooting through bushes I had avoided (for the first time ever) on my tee shot. Hole 18 meant recovering from two consecutive tree shots and then throwing a nice thumber over bushes, which allowed for an almost perfect long putt, where I hit the pole. The Sinus rolled away after hitting the pole, which meant another medium putt, whereupon I hit the top of the basket and bounced away, but you "get the picture."

---

It is all part of the process of truly learning the game.

---

The Sinus SP has taken the primary putter slot in my bag. I have been practicing at home on my portable basket with it, which means that I am now starting to become comfortable with it. I like the feel of it in my hand better than my other putters, due to its groove along the side and its thin thumb pads on top—both of which allow for a better grip and greater confidence when I throw it.

---

For my first "in the field" handling of the Sinus, I would have to say that it performed magnificently. I just need to practice with it some more until I am completely at ease when I throw it.

No comments: