Tuesday, January 01, 2008

STRUCTURED WANDERING


I received a Magellan eXplorist 100 handheld GPS unit for Christmas from the father-in-law and the stepmother-in-law. I have spent the past few days wandering about trying to figure out how the various features work. Today, the wife, the child, and I took it out for our first foray into geocaching. I can best describe geocaching as treasure hunting with a GPS unit rather than a map.

I signed up for a free account with Geocaching.com and picked a nearby, fairly simple cache to seek. The "Sumner's Pioneers" cache had us wandering around the gravestones of the Sumner Cemetery figuring out the clues and checking coordinates. We found the cache, signed the log as Troy's Work Table, played with the various trinkets that others have left behind, and went on our way.

The wife and I had fun. The child drew pictures of the cemetery in a sketchbook.

This is sure to be the first of many such wanderings.

No comments: