Wednesday, January 16, 2008

HOME BREWING - PART THREE

Christmas Pale Ale 2007, an Pale Ale by Troy's Work Table

12 ounce bottle. Troy's Work Table's first attempt at home brewing was a spectacular failure. It wasn't all that pretty to look at, being kind of a Budweiser yellow. There wasn't much of a head and hence no lacing. The aroma was mediocre, as was the taste. The mouthfeel was average.

It wasn't horrible. It just didn't live up to my expectations. This was my first brew and I learned a lot during the process. I will try a different style next time, which may give me more of the flavor that I am seeking.

I would drink this again, though. And, that is a good thing because I have a few of these still sitting around in the basement beer cellar. To those of you who received a bottle of Christmas Pale Ale as a gift, I apologize. You're on your own!

---

The first bottle that I drank was about ten days after bottling. There was some carbonation, but it still tasted somewhat flat. Another two weeks in the bottle gave it more carbonation and improved the flavor, but it still wasn't anything to brag about. So, if you did end up with a bottle you may want to let it "mature" a couple more weeks. Just remember to drink it by Lent...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be glad to help get rid of your experiment all in the name of brewing

Brian

Anonymous said...

i have my bottle of home brew sitting in the frig with three of your 2 below ale. waiting for the right setting to enjoy your beer with a warm pint of md 20/20.

Marc said...

Your making me thirsty! NOT! :)