Monday, January 07, 2008

BEST DRINKS OF 2007


-1-
Thomas Hardy's Ale, vintage 2005, bottle no. P14370, a Barleywine by O'Hanlon's Brewing Company. I had this over the Christmas holidays with a thick, medium rare chunk of prime rib. Heaven! The 2005 vintage seems slightly heavier on the brown sugar flavor, which is fine by me.

-2-
Abbey and Trappist ales tasting at 99 Bottles with Stu Stuart of Belgian Beer Me! This gave me a new appreciation for a few styles of beer with which I was somewhat unfamiliar.

-3-
Various trips to Fritz European Fry House of Bremerton, Washington. Great beers, great fries, and a tiny space. I just imagine that I am in the heart of Brussels. I have made excuses to go to Bremerton just so I can visit Fritz for a pint of Belgian ale and a cone of Belgian fries.

-4-
Traquair Jacobite Ale, a Traditional Ale brewed by Traquair. Fruity, peppery, and spicy. Like Thomas Hardy's Ale, this is one to be savored for special occasions or choice cuts of meat. I may have to invent a few new holidays.

-5-
Moinette Biologique, a Saison by Dupont Brasserie. A floral and pear base allows coriander, caraway, and other spices to emerge. The ale is alternately spicy and floral, balanced well between the two.

-6-
Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA, an Imperial/Double India Pale Ale by Dogfish Head Brewery. This is one hoppy beer. I could drink this every day. Dogfish Head also makes an 120 Minute Imperial IPA, but I am somewhat scared to try it. It is either going to be ambrosial or extermely over-the-top. I hope for the former and fear the latter.

-7-
Powerhouse Cream Ale, a Cream Ale by Powerhouse Restaurant & Brewery. I don't get to frequent the Powerhouse as much as I would like, so any excuse to eat and drink there is a blessing. I had the Cream Ale with an Overload during one of those excuses. The Overload pizza is a great match for most of the Powerhouse ales.

-8-
Trackside Pizza of Puyallup, Washington. A wonderful pizza joint that serves Mac and Jack's African Amber on tap. Order the B&O without mushrooms or the California Zephyr. Be prepared to be shaken when the trains pass by within feet of the building.

-9-
IPA fest on Troy's Work Table. It was an assignment that I gave myself last year. I sampled a lot of different India Pale Ales for you, the reader. I will try to do the same this year with a different style of beer.

-10-
2° Below Winter Ale, a Premium Bitter/ESB by New Belgium Brewing Company. Hints of orange, spices, and yeast make this one of my new favorite winter ales. Give me a bottle of 2° Below and a good book, set me before a roaring fire in my pajamas and scarf, and bring on some snow.

No comments: