Sunday, March 03, 2024

DRIVE-AWAY DOLLS



The Wife and I saw Drive-Away Dolls (2024) directed by Ethan Coen, at The Grand Cinema in Tacoma.

I usually know a bit about a film before I see it. In the case of Drive-Away Dolls, all I knew came from the trailer. It appeared to be a blend of Thelma and Louise and Pulp Fiction. But, as they say, appearances can be deceiving. That is the case here. This is a lesbian romance road film that tries too hard. It's too quirky. It's too fragmented and disjointed. I was most intrigued to see Geraldine Viswanathan (Miracle Workers) in it but her character isn't really allowed to do anything and is mired in sadness. Geraldine's humor is stifled. And there are way too many dildo jokes and shots and scenes of dildoes. No joke. Spoiler alert: it's a major plot point. This is a pass unless you're a Coen Brothers completist; even then tread with caution.

No comments: