Wednesday, October 19, 2022

NEW PATH



Today I had to make the difficult decision to leave the dojo I’m part of for personal and health reasons. Over the past two weeks, I had some past back and joint issues return in full force after years of absence, as well as some new arthritic-like symptoms appear in my hands.

It was as though a large boulder fell from the heavens and blocked my martial arts path. Instead of seeing the boulder as an impossible challenge and turning back, though, I decided to find a way around or over it. But that way entails a much slower and more tailored journey than I was going to experience as part of any particular program.

So, rest for now. Then “baby steps” and physical therapy exercises for a bit. Then Yi Jin Jing version of Qigong since it is slow but also continues to build flexibility and muscle tone. Then kihon (basics) and kata (forms) of karate and waza (techniques) of iaido.

I have enough equipment in the backyard dojo for training. I have almost a year and a half of Shotokan and eight months of Yi Jin Jing as a good solid base. I have plenty of things to work upon. Plus, being in the backyard dojo allows me to return to my white belt and a “beginner’s mind.” To see things anew.

A couple of “dark nights of the soul” and plenty of time to reflect made me realize some of the things I don’t need as I walk The Way. I don’t need to compete to prove my worth. I don’t need stripes or belts or rank. And it is not that there's anything wrong with those things, but I don’t need them. I needed to develop a routine of training, which I have. I needed to figure out some of the basics, which I’m doing. I needed to build up my core strength, which I have done beyond what I thought I was capable of. I needed to discover how much I enjoy drawing a sword from a sheath—for many reasons—and so much so that I actually dream about working with 舌.

I give thanks for everyone who has been part of my martial arts journey to this point. You have provided me with a wonderful foundation for what takes place next.

No comments: