Saturday, July 31, 2021

APPLESEED



I'm halfway through Appleseed by Matt Bell and it is becomingly increasingly mythic and increasingly weird. And I'm savoring every moment in its pages.

My best guess is that the connection to its three story lines will eventually emerge. In the meantime, however, I find echoes and elements that remind me of other novels. Mind you, this book is definitely its own creature, but it may share some genetic material of some sort with the following works (all of which I highly recommend).

Vurt (1993) by Jeff Noon

Autobiography of Red (1998) by Anne Carson

Tongkat/Tonguecat (1999) by Peter Verhelst

Blueprints of the Afterlife (2012) by Ryan Boudinot

Borne (2017) by Jeff VanderMeer

Metamorphica (2018) by Zachary Mason

Circe (2018) by Madeline Miller

Skyward Inn (2021) by Aliya Whiteley

No comments: