Thursday, August 13, 2020

CREATION IS PERFECT



Creation Is Perfect by Minimal Compact is indeed a piece of perfected creation.

There is a largeness to each of these tracks that opens them up beyond their original recordings. Perhaps it is the maturity of band members, the accumulation of life experience, staring toward the ever-approaching limits of mortality, or all of the above. But this definitely feels like their most realized album. And it is not simply a “greatest hits” album. It truly stands on its own, even though all but one of the eight tracks are revisitations and reimaginings of prior songs.



SIDE A

Track 1 > “Statik Dancin’”
Minimal Compact, 1981
What a great version of this song. (Probably my favorite.) From the wood block beats to the bass pulse to the guitar noodling over the top of it all. Then additional guitar noodling. Then Samy’s deadpan voice. Gah! “Dancing! Statik dancing!” If this is Minimal Compact’s “jam” song, then this version of it deserves to be lengthened, remixed, expanded upon.

Track 2 > “Take Me Away”
One by One, 1983
This track just gets right to work. Pulling no punches. The interplay of Malka’s and Samy’s voices, in the midst of music that is a bit irritating and grating, reminds me a bit of early music from the Sugarcubes. Except with a distinctly Middle Eastern bent.

Track 3 > “Nada”
Deadly Weapons, 1984
For me, this track has the same tone, atmosphere, feeling of “New Clear Twist” from —. There is a somber sadness that plays against the electric guitar and it is beautiful in its melancholic juxtaposition. And the guitar plucking between the anchor beats of drum and bass at the end? Haunting.

Track 4 > “Raging Souls”
Raging Souls, 1985
There is an echo of a Wire track here, but I cannot quite think of which one. (Something on The Ideal Copy?)  But that doesn't mean that this track isn't wholly a Minimal Compact song because it absolutely is.

SIDE B

Track 5 > “Not Knowing”
Deadly Weapons, 1984
This track give me “film noir” vibes when it opens. I can’t exactly name why. But it’s there. And it continues.

Track 6 > “My Will”
Raging Souls, 1985
If there were a track on this album that could bring me to tears, this is it. The interplay between Samy’s and Malka’s voices is absolutely beautiful, especially when Malka sings, “Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, my will is stronger than me.”

Track 7 > “The Well”
Deadly Weapons, 1984
The Mediterranean flavors on this are spot on. Voice, guitar, bass, keyboards, and drums are hypnotic sync and I could imagine this just going on forever.

Track 8 > “Holy Roller”
Creation Is Perfect, 2019
Calliope-like opening leads into pulsing thrum. Then more layers, more instruments, then the vocals. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve listened to this particular track in the short amount of time I’ve owned the album. It is stunning. The unison of voices. The harmony of voices. The countering of voices. The mixture of English and Hebrew. The song never sits still, but rather keeps shifting “beneath my feet.” “The voices in your head won’t stop.”



This is one of those albums that I will either wear out the vinyl or a needle. I've already played it over and over. I have several Minimal Compact albums on CD but I am absolutely glad to have this one on vinyl. It helps me to slow down and really focus on the music, which this album absolutely rewards!

No comments: