Sunday, July 05, 2020

BIRD BOX



I finally viewed Bird Box (2018), directed by Susanne Bier. At its heart, it's a mixture of a zombie film and a quest film, with elements from H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos and Thomas More's Utopia acting as anchors of each. There are echoes of A Quiet Place (2018) and The Book of Eli (2010) throughout.

The film's story strangely resonates in a world filled with COVID-19, Black Lives Matters protests, MAGA, notions of community versus the individual, freedom and the rights/responsibilities that come with it, and whether or not one should wear a face mask (blindfold). I wonder how this film would have "read" for me prior to March of this year. Alas, I will never know.

All in all, the movie was too tense/intense for me, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

No comments: