Thursday, November 07, 2019

KILLING ME SOFTLY



Autumn at sunrise. North Hill, Puyallup, Washington.

The shift to autumn is killing me softly. And slowly.

"Gaining" an hour by "falling back" from Daylight Saving Time to Standard Time once again has thrown off my circadian rhythm. The sun doesn't quite sit in the sky where it should, according to my mind and body. Not only that, but the sun's light is weaker and the sun's course in the sky is shorter and closer to horizon.

Not to be dramatic, but I can feel the dark weighing down my bones. I literally feel heavier. More sluggish.

And my insomnia is acting up, as well as I'm awake and up at 5:00 a.m. no matter how little sleep I've gotten the night prior.

I'm walking and running to keep endorphins flooding my system. I'm taking vitamin D. I'm taking melatonin before bed. I'm practicing mindfulness.

The only saving grace of the past few weeks has been brilliant fall foliage, made even more so by the richer amber sunlight.

Hopefully, I can get myself back to some sustainable pattern of wake-and-slumber before the fog and gray and dark set in for the next few months.

No comments: