Friday, October 16, 2015

YGGDRASIL


"Yggdrasil" by Troy's Work Table. Carport chalking for Friday 16 October 2015.

---

I wanted to draw Yggdrasil as weary of the nine worlds that it connects. And I didn't want them to be roots, but branches and leaves that weigh the tree down. It may have something to do with constantly raking up leaves and walnuts and twigs and windfall branches from my black walnut tree these past few weeks. (And I've got a few more to go.)

---

Anyway, I didn't want the "nice" little tree "chart" that I usually see drawn out for the nine Norse worlds and the tree that unites them. I wanted it to be rough and ugly, disheveled and ungainly.

---


Detail of Yggdrasil: wizened and world weary.

---

When I was drawing the "face" of Yggdrasil, I put down a layer of charcoal and got some vertical grooves going in it. Then I added the brown chalk and rubbed it in. When I was done, I noticed that a small mouth of charcoal dust had formed. I didn't plan it; it simply appeared of its own accord. So I let it stay and decided not to outline or highlight it other than what formed around it during its creation.

---

View more pictures of "Yggdrasil" HERE.

No comments: