Monday, March 24, 2008

THE APPRENTICE


The child and I went out searching for a local geocache (zntargvp series #3). We have looked for this cache previously and have been unable to find it.

Today, after searching high and low for about half an hour, and after running over hands over every piece of metal we could find (because this is a magnetic cache), we were approached by a couple. We had been passed by quite a few people on Puyallup's Riverwalk Trail because the weather was mild—partly cloudy with sunbreaks and not too cold—so we didn't think too much about it until they spoke to us. "Are you searching for the geocache?" We had been doing our best to make it look like we were just goofing around, and not draw attention to ourselves. But then I thought to myself, why would someone who didn't know about the cache ask us if we were looking for it? So, I replied, "Yes."

They introduced themselves as DuHawks, a geocache team whose hidden caches we have been hunting and discovering around Sumner. They informed us that they had spent five hours, off and on, attempting to locate this particular cache. So, we all hunted around for a few minutes and ran through what we thought we were looking for, and where we had looked, and what we had tried. DuHawks informed me that another cacher, wasian, would arrive in a few minutes and show them where it was. When he arrived, he gave me the same hint that he gave to DuHawks. Once I had the clue, I located it within a minute or so. Shortly afterward, so did DuHawks. I don't think I would have ever found this particular cache without help. Once I did, some of my preconceived notions of what I am looking for at each and every future cache were shattered. I need to enter each hunt with a tabula rasa mind.

---

When I went home, I looked up the handles for DuHawks and wasian on the geocaching site. DuHawks have found over 850 caches throughout the United States over the period of five years. wasian have found over 1075 caches throughout the United States, Canada, and Spain in a period of less than two years! Troy's Work Table has discovered a measly six in less than three months. I guess I have some wandering to do and some caches to find.

The humble apprentice will now try to clear his mind and head out into the woods and onto the trails...

1 comment:

MotherPucker.ca said...

Thats cool that someone saw you and knew exactly what you were doing!