Tuesday, March 17, 2009

BACHELOR DAY

Sunday was bachelor day. The wife and child went to spend time with the mother-in-law. That meant that after a morning of church, the afternoon and evening were mine to spend alone. It was time for books, art, and beer. It was a time to wander.


I went out for my second round of disc golf. It would involve wind and rain, both in fair amounts. It would also involve wandering the woods of White River with John, whom I happened to meet at the course. He asked if he could "jump on" to my game at the third hole and then the two of us were off throwing our discs through the trees. I played a 78 "stroke" game on a par 54 course (of 18 holes). I figured that wasn't too bad for a beginning player, especially since I was usually only one or two throws behind John.

(In the above picture, people who aced that particular hole have written their names and the date they played disc golf on the basket pole in permanent marker.)


Lunch consisted of hot dogs and beer at Tacoma's Red Hot. I had one eponymous Red Hot and one Chicago dog along with a Silver City Ridgetop Red amber ale. You cannot go wrong with beer and hot dogs!


I then spent some time wandering among the plants and flowers of the W.W. Seymour Botanical Conservatory in Tacoma's Wright Park. This was partly as research for a story I am writing and partly to enjoy some beautiful and artistically manicured flowers—a respite from the howling wind and driving rain on the other side of the conservatory glass.


Finally, it was off to my favorite local bookstore to poke around the shelves. I browsed, petted the bookstore cats Miko and Atticus, and finally selected The North Pole: A Narrative History edited by Anthony Brandt. After leaving King's Books it was off to home to read for a few hours and enjoy some quiet in the house.

No comments: