Sunday, August 17, 2008

SHOWCASE TACOMA DREAMS - HOUSE & HOME


House & Home was a simple, yet evocative, installation by artist (and University of Washington Tacoma professor) Tyler Budge. He was tying the idea of home to the flooding that was occurring in the Midwest at the time of his application for the event. I liked his use of the "urban river" of Tollefson Plaza.

I also liked his use of neon orange sandbags, which echoed the orange windsocks of his to wend installation. The orange seems to depict multiple purposes. In to wend, the orange is not only a warning of the strength of the wind, but also a signifier of direction. In House & Home, the orange is not only a defense against the strength and determination of the water, but a support for the structure.

The first time I viewed House & Home, Tyler Budge was circling the sculpture, taking pictures of it from different vantage points. I was tempted to approach him to discuss the piece with him, but he seemed so intent of purpose that I decided to leave him to his work.

---

I also especially liked this piece because its simplicity and utilization of space reminded me of the work of Lead Pencil Studio and their Maryhill Double. I kept finding myself drawn back to it again and again.

---

You can view more pictures of House & Home at the troysworktable Flickr page.

No comments: