Tuesday, August 12, 2008

SHOWCASE TACOMA DREAMS - THE HELIO SEQUENCE



I dream of musicians who live for their music.

I see a drummer who adopts a "musical autism" when he sits behind his kit, the world replaced by the beat, the rhythm, the melody. His mouth shuts and closes with the movement of his hands, the drumsticks. His body lurches and leaps, herky-jerky.

I see a vocalist who in the past shredded his vocal chords, only to be plunged into silence, and having to learn to sing again. His voice is strong once again. He is happy to be here, celebrating his twenty-eighth birthday with the city of Tacoma. His guitar quivers at his touch, his harmonica bleats its mournful tune.

I see myself twenty years ago in the kids that crowd the stage.

My ears ring.

I am happy.

---

You can view more pictures of The Helio Sequence performing at Showcase Tacoma on the troysworktable Flickr page.

No comments: