Monday, July 14, 2008

DREAMS OF BETTER DAYS



Clouds above Lighthouse Park at Brown's Point, Tacoma.

It is amazing how the lives and drama of other people can affect one's self. Marriages of friends and family are crumbling around me. A young woman is struggling with recurring brain tumors. Work is full of change, with new employees and new challenges. My body isn't always cooperating as it should. Electrical signals are short-circuiting from spine to legs, right arm, and face. Fatigue and exhaustion are nipping at my heels. At least it isn't depression right now. I can thank God for that.

I am still reading, still viewing art, still drinking beer, and still wandering. It all seems very small and insignificant right now, though.

I am writing, but its themes are death, mortality, and fatherhood. I am struggling through it. I wrestle with it daily as it gives birth to itself and I merely write down what I witness therein.

I dream of forthcoming better days. I dream of midsummer evenings watching the skies for cloud patterns at dusk and meteor showers at twilight.

I dream of the buzz of dragonflies as they hunt mosquitoes.

No comments: