Thursday, April 03, 2008

on THE TAPHANDLE

Cinder Cone Red, an Amber Ale by Deschutes Brewery

12 ounce bottle. Seasonal ale.

This is my favorite beer. It is not the best beer that I have ever had, but it is my favorite. The distinction lies in that it is consistent, I can drink it with pretty much any food I pair it with, and that I never tire of drinking it. Some of the best beers that I have had only work in particular settings or with particular types of foods. Not Cinder Cone Red. It pleases all of the time.

The pour delivers a rich garnet body with a long-lasting ivory head. The body is clear with carbonation that is light, lively, and ever present. The lacing is excellent and intricate.

The aroma is complex. Caramel is the primary malt aroma. Light citrus, and a flourish of pine, on occasion, represent the hops. The other aromas are raisin, plum, cherry, and red wine.

The flavor "pulls back" ever so slightly from the aroma to concentrate on four primary tastes: caramel, cherry, plum, and a faint red wine. The focus in the midst of complexity is what really makes this ale shine! Yet, it is also an easily accessible beer. The initial flavor is sweet, matures into a light bitterness, and finishes with a combination of sweet and bitter that lingers. It is lightly oily on the tongue. Every so often, a hint of pine sneaks in to tease.

Cinder Cone Red is an ale for all occasions. I can imagine it with potato chips or roast duck. It works well during a nice meal or refreshes after mowing the lawn. I think I need one right now!

No comments: