Friday, September 11, 2015

CHICKENS GALORE!

I visited chicken friends at the Washington State Fair today. The great thing about the first day's admission being free before noon, my having the day off, and my family being unable to attend with me is that I can spend an hour in the poultry barn and just hang out with the various roosters and hens without any pressure to move along to another barn or another exhibit.

These were my ten favorite friends.


[1] Black Old English rooster.


[2] Brown-red Old English rooster.


[3] Barred Plymouth Rock rooster.


[4] Single-comb Rhode Island Red hen.


[5] White Orpington rooster.


[6] Silver spangled Hamburg rooster.


[7] Golden Phoenix rooster.


[8] Golden Sebright rooster.


[9] Silver Sebright rooster.


[10] Black-breasted red Modern Game hen.

---

My friend Dave reminded me of a quote by Warner Herzog: "Look into the eyes of a chicken and you will see real stupidity. It is a kind of bottomless stupidity, a fiendish stupidity. They are the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creatures in the world."

I have to respectfully disagree, however, for I would rather hang out with a chicken than many members of my own species.

No comments: