Monday, April 11, 2011

SESSION BLACK LAGER


Session Black Lager
, a Schwarzbier by Full Sail Brewing Company.

11 ounce "stubby" bottle, served in a lager glass.

---

I have been trying to challenge myself to try lagers, beers that I tend to overlook in my search for a variety of ales, in addition to beers with a subtler flavor profile than I am usually prone to drink.

Session Black Lager seemed to be a good "transition" beer.

---

The pour delivers a root beer brown, almost black body. A thin tan head forms but quickly dissipates.

The primary aromas are a spring airiness, malts, freshly torn leaves, and a hint of chocolate.

The primary flavors duplicate the aromas, although they are subtler. The chocolate is the strongest flavor, and draws forth additional flavors of earthiness and wood bark. The palate is light.

The finish is crisp, with wood bark and dark chocolate as its most noticeable flavors.

Overall, this is a subtle but very enjoyable beer. It also lives up to its name, being very sessionable and not overly alcohol-laden. I could imagine drinking a few of these while hanging out with friends.

Session Black served my personal purpose and also stood well on its own merit.

---

The stubby bottle is also interesting in that it reminds me of some of the beers I remember my dad drinking when I was a kid. You just don't see too many bottles that deviate from the norm, especially in beers that are more likely to end up in your neighborhood grocery store rather than a specialty beer shop.

No comments: