Sunday, June 14, 2009

ITEMS for the BEER CELLAR


A few friends have inspired me. One gave me a bottle of Russian River Consecration and split a schooner of Walking Man Homo Erectus with me at the Parkway Tavern. Another couple gave me a bottle of New Belgium (Lips of Faith reserve series) Biere de Mars and let me sample Midnight Sun Meltdown Double IPA. A few weeks ago, I had purchased a half-rack of Deschutes Cinder Cone Red Ale to drink with the occasional meal or while mowing the lawn. But now my "taphandle tastebuds" are fired up again.

Therefore, a trip to 99 Bottles in Federal Way was in order. I had a gift certificate, which allowed me to purchase more beer than I would normally pick up in a single trip. "Half" of the bottles will be cellared and the other "half" (including one can) will be placed in the refrigerator for more immediate consumption and enjoyment.

---

FOR THE REFRIGERATOR

*Caldera IPA, 12 ounce can, $2.48 per pint.
*Dogfish Head Immort Ale, 12 ounce bottle, $5.33 per pint.
*Great Divide Belgica Belgian-Style IPA, 12 ounce bottle, $2.44 per pint.
*Great Divide Wild Raspberry Ale, 12 ounce bottle, $2.67 per pint.
*Russian River Pliny the Elder Ale, 16.9 ounce bottle, $8.58 per pint.

---

FOR THE BEER CELLAR

*Deschutes Mirror, Mirror Barleywine, 22 ounce bottle, $10.19 per pint.
*Great Divide Chocolate Oak-Aged Yeti Imperial Stout, 22 ounce bottle, $8.43 per pint.
*Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale, 22 ounce bottle, $8.58 per pint.

---

These are all new to me, with the exception of Pliny the Elder, which is an awesome ale that I will most enjoy again!

---

Mirror, Mirror is recommended to be left cellared and undisturbed until April 20, 2010. I will heed the advice of Deschutes and leave it be. I am looking forward to it as another "version" of Mirror Pond Pale Ale to try, having previously tried (a) Mirror Pond Pale Ale in a bottle, (b) Mirror Pond Pale Ale on tap, (c) Fresh Hopped Mirror Pond Pale Ale on tap, (d) Cask Conditioned Mirror Pond Pale Ale on tap, (e) and Goschie's Sterling Pale Ale on tap, which was essentially a variation on Mirror Pond.

---

I am excited to try Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale with no promotion or prompting. I really like Dead Guy Ale, so I am looking forward to its stronger sibling.

---

I have heard people raving about Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout, so when I saw on the 99 Bottles Twitter page that Great Divide Chocolate Oak-Aged Yeti Imperial Stout had arrived, I was out the door. I figure that "chocolate" and "oak-aged," two favorite flavors of mine in ales, are the key selling points for me—along with the word-of-mouth raves.

---

So look forward to new taphandle posts over the next couple of weeks as I try out some new beers.

---

Thank you to M. and A. & G. for the gifts from the barley gods.

No comments: